Tips for the keywords META tag:
- Be specific. Usually, two-word and three-word phrases work better
than single words. For example, don't use typical words like 'business'
or 'travel' or 'software' because they are vague. It is better use
phrases like 'home based business' or 'Orlando vacations' or 'contact
management software' because they are more specific to what.
- Be careful with repetition. Many search engines will give you a "spam
penalty" if you repeat a word or phrase too close to itself. If you
must repeat keywords, spread them out a little bit.
- Don't overdo it. The more keywords you use, the more you dilute the
relevancy for every other word and phrase in the list. For best
results, put different words on the interior pages of your web site and
submit them individually to the search engines.
- Watch your CASE! Some of the most popular search engines are
case-sensitive which means a search on 'META tags' would bring up
different results than a search on 'meta tags'. Most of the population
doesn't even capitalize proper nouns so you should leave most keywords
in lower case.
Tips for the description META tag:
- Short but sweet works best. One or two short sentences that will
convince people to click on your site. Keep in mind that your site is
likely to land right next to a competitor's site.
- Most search engines don't show any more that 20 words or so. If you
write a long description it may be cut off in the middle of a sentence.
- Listing a few of the most relevant keywords within the description is
a good idea but don't try to pack them all in. Doing this often makes
sentences sound choppy and it won't help your relevancy enough to be
Tips for the title tag:
- The title is not a META tag. What you put here will appear in the
title bar at the top of every browser being used to view your site. It
will also be the text that becomes the link to your site within the
search engine results lists.
- Keep the title short - 40 characters of text or less works best.
- Many search engines place high relevance on the words within the title
so it often helps to include your best keyword(s) here but only if they
fit. Don't use words like 'home page' because they waste valuable
- NEVER USE ALL CAPS. The search engines will often just skip your site
if you do.
- Never put a URL into the title. Search engines will skip you